Saturday, July 21, 2007

Saying

God says in the Quran:

"Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, We believe, and not be tried?
And certainly We tried those before them, so Allah will certainly know those who are true and He will certainly know the liars."

This verse was one of the first, if not actually the first to draw my attention to how the message of Islam approves my own feelings and common sense about the whole religion thing. I could easily say to my fellow Muslims that I am just like them, I am a Muslim and a believer, this is all I needed to put everyone at ease, especially my parents, who were sad and upset thinking that I was no longer a believer. When having a debate about religion, my fellow Muslims would easily jump to the conclusion that I had gone astray, and they still think the same sometimes when I say something that is not so "familiar" to them, although in everything I said and say, I always thought to be closer to the true message of Islam than they believe.

It is easy to "say" that we believe. But I thought that it was far better to try to name my feelings as close to what they are as possible. Instead of saying that I am a believer in God, I would say that I would be stupid to say that there is no God. I know how limited our human knowledge is, and it's silly to decide that there is no God when we didn't even leave the planet Earth. I like those who say: "we don't know", or "we are not sure." They are being honest, and I think that they are closer to God than someone who says loud: "I BELIEVE IN GOD" out of a heart that still seeks refuge in a lie, gets scared from a fellow human being, thinks that he is really in control of everything or feels deeply depressed for missing a pleasure or enduring a difficulty ("and despair not of the Spirit of Allah; surely none despairs of Allah's mercy except the unbelieving people" Joseph, verse 87).

The first step that would allow us to be accepted by God is honesty and true words. Whoever knows a little about God knows that He sees what's in our heart, and how insulting to God's knowledge is saying "We believe" while knowing we didn't exactly get there yet!

When this verse reached me, I felt assured that what God really cares about is for us to be honest with ourselves. And even after we really believe, here is what we are told in the Quran:

"O you who believe! why do you say that which you do not do?
It is most hateful to Allah that you should say that which you do not do."
Chapter 61, Verse 3

"O ye who believe! Guard your duty to Allah, and speak words straight to the point; (the right word)
That He may make your conduct whole and sound and forgive you your sins."
Chapter 33, Verses 70-71

See how "saying" the right words results in God's help "doing" the right actions?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

السلام عليكم ازيك يا استاذ محمد اسمحلي اكتب باللغة العربية الف مبروك على مدونتك الجديدة و ان شاء الله يكون فيه بينا ايميلات عديدة عشان اناقش معاك امور عديدة

هبه نجيب

Mohamed Shedou محمد شدو said...

أهلا بيكي يا هبة
ممكن تبعتيلي على الايميل في أي وقت
في انتظار رسايلك

-_- said...

hey

you are chosen by sharm to represent your country in the first international blog
WUB (World United Bloggers)
the aim of this blog is to prove to the world that the difference in our languages and religions and colors doesn't make us hate each other and we can make this world better if we say our opinion with a respect to the opinion of the others
if you are agree to join us please send e-mail with your nick name , age , country and your blog address on sharm_lover@hotmail.com to send you activation mail which makes you read every thing about the WUB (World United Bloggers) and it's aims
thanks

Sharm

Anonymous said...

محمود : يللا يا عم عيش حياتك مع شرم ، بعد كدا ممكن تتنكر مننا
أنا هبعتلك القصتين حالا بالا
مستني تتكلم أكتر في المدونة الجديدة دي

Anonymous said...

I like what you say here about the truth. There is a book called "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz that talks about being honest. It is a powerful thing and can transform your life. I have tried to implement this in my life, and it is very true, that being honest will transform your life. Your post made me think of this . Thank you!

Mohamed Shedou محمد شدو said...

brenda

I will look for the book you mention. I do believe that the truth is the way out, it might not be immediately attainable, but it is the most worthy aim. It is not really a big vague word, it starts with our own struggle to be honest. In fact, the more honest we are, the more we can see things as they are, and not as we want to see them...

Anonymous said...

I think the agreement I am thinking of is "Be impeccable with the word." So not only does this mean speak the truth, but also, I think it's so important to mean what you say and to know what it is exactly you are trying to say and express it correctly. It's so hard sometimes to do, especially when the topic is important. But since I've begun doing that, the world hasn't fallen apart, and even if things don't go the way I would like them to, I can say to myself that at least what has happened is based on the truth, and so I can accept it. And yes, I agree with your last point, about seeing things as they really are...struggling with that one lately...