Sunday, October 7, 2007

Typical Western stereotypes

I used to think and say that one of the biggest failures of the Western civilization is its inability or unwillingness to understand and appreciate Islam. I wonder how did such a civilization so fond of knowledge and scientific (meaning, among other things, objective) research misunderstand this religion when the resources are this easily accessible. Of course there are too many honest westerners who didn't just listen to the bad press about Islam and they did their homework and declared their appreciation of the religion and the culture, and many even converted to Islam and accepted it as a universal truth, but this still seems to be the exception.

The reason I am mentioning this issue today is a recent online experience that I had with the very common accusations that Islam is so used to get in this culture. I was reading a post by Donald Trump in Trump University blog (it's really good,
check it out), and in one of the comments, a reader says things about how Muslims are involved in wars and killing Christians, etc. Frankly, I was irritated and decided to comment on the comment, and I am copying here what I have said. I was somewhat overwhelmed and wasn't sure how to give a brief but good answer. I just wrote what came to my mind, without planning. You can see the post written by Trump and the comments, including mine and the one I was replying to,
here.
-------------------------------
"how you explain the 1000 years of war in Middle East you*re part of?"

"So the question is who what envy as long that as far as Pakistan the christians are killed?"

I know this was not a post about religions. But reading the comment written by our friend Daniela and approved by the moderators of the blog made me think of commenting on her comment.

First, I did my best to understand the comment. English is not my first language and I cannot know if this is what caused the difficulty I had in understanding the comment. So hopefully I didn't misunderstand what Daniela exactly meant.

I am a Muslim and I know exactly why I have chosen to be Muslim (you can check out why in my blog dedicated to this subjject:
http://whybemuslim.blogspot.com/).

Daniela is talking about the 1000 years of war in the Middle East Muslims have been part of. The question gives me the impression that our friend is implying that Muslims loves war. Then the second question is implying the same, it's talking about Christians being killed in Pakistan.

It can take a book to reply to these questions. I will try to use my "right to answer" as a Muslim in the most brief of ways.

I suggest that our friend be open minded to the truth and the truth only. We all have been raised up believing certain things about "the Others". We should read and learn and find out for ourselves how true is anything we believe in by listening to the media or whoever.

I suggest our friend read a translation of the Quran itself, the holy book of Muslims, which we have in the original language of the book, Arabic, and of which we have only ONE version, and see what it says about war and other values. The Quran states, for one example, that killing ONE SOUL is like killing all of humanity. We as Muslims are not allowed to go war UNLESS WE ARE BEING ATTACKED.

Now here is something else that can be a pleasant surprise. Muslims are ordered, if going to war, not to kill a woman, a child, an elderly, a person retired to worship God, no matter what religion they follow, and not even to destroy a tree or destroy a house. They are only allowed to kill those in direct war with them.

Muslims were killed, by thousands, in Bosnia and in Kosovo. Sometimes up to 8000 Muslims were killed at once by Christians. We, Muslims, never said that Christians killed us. We are ordered in the Quran never to accuse one person of what another person did, even if they belonged to the same group.

Muslims paved the way for the civilization that we are living today. All that is found in history books for whoever wants to read and learn. I will briefly mention that sciences like Algebra and Chemistry take their names from Arabic, they were born in the time of the Islamic civilization. The Islamic rule in Spain, which lasted 800 years, is known as the Golden Age for Jews and Christians. Arabs and Muslims were the first in history to invent hospitals, the first was established in Baghdad.

I can't really go on, it takes books. I would just like to remind Daniela and others who think that Muslims are the only terrorists that in Hiroshima and Nagasaki alone more than a quarter of a million CIVILIANS were killed. This was not done by Muslims. In the dark ages of Europe, scientists were BURNT alive if they said something that the priests didn't approve!!!!

I would love that everyone will consider carefully what they believe about whose who are different from them, especially what they believe about Islam. They are keeping themselves from knowing and understanding a treasure.

Mohamed Shedou

9 comments:

CG said...

I loved the comment you left. Even though I don't consider myself religious, I respect all the other religions regardless. When you mentioned the chemistry and algebra, I must admit I knew that already, and just one thing to add if I remember correctly the most important nautical tool compass was also invented in Middle East. The fact that Islam gave so much to this world scientifically should deserve respect on it's own. Unfortunately people don't want to see that instead they believe in all the things that press tells them about. Extremists are dangerous in any religion, but after all the best thing about religion is that it teaches one to love a fellow human being as their self. Great post.

Mohamed Shedou محمد شدو said...

Thanks Carra. It's nice you currently live in Spain, one day I want to visit and go see the Arabic and Islamic monuments there. That's also where Europeans learned many things from the Islamic civilization.

I love diversity and I believe that race, languages and religions don't unite or seperate people. It's our personal values and our vision of the world and our respect for other fellow humans. Your comment gives me hope and confirms my beliefs and feelings.

I don't know much about your home country, Lithuania. I guess I will try to from now on :)

Muhammed al deen said...

rubbish minds spil out rubbish

karina said...

yeah but you also missed how muslims went to my native country spain and killed alot of are women and children to try to force us into the muslim religion. My ancestor was part of that war and we have passed down documents of those times. I have no problems with muslims because some of my family do come from the middle east, and my best friend is muslim and i am catholic. I think your culture is full of beautiful, rich values and i respect it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that particular model. The prices as regards the sneakers were approximately 330 dollars on every site. But completely I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, wish look audacious for more interdependent articles soon as its united of my pet subject-matter to read.